You’ve sent your resume and you finally got booked in for a meeting! Ace your interview and get the job with these seven useful tips:
1. Do your research – Learn about your potential employer prior to arriving to your interview. This will help you tailor your responses and will show your interest in the job vacancy.
2. Prepare responses to common interview questions – Know who you’re meeting with beforehand and compose detailed yet concise responses, focusing on specific examples and accomplishments.
3. Dress the part – Choose an outfit that fits the organization and its culture, while keeping the overall look clean and professional. Keep accessories to a minimum and don’t go overboard with the perfume.
4. Arrive on time – Never arrive late to an interview. In fact, it is sometimes preferred to get there around 15 minutes before your scheduled meeting to complete any required paperwork and allow yourself some time to get settled.
5. Make positive first impressions with everyone you meet – Be polite, smile and make eye contact with each person you encounter on your way into the interview, from the receptionist to the person you are meeting with.
6. Ask questions – Over the course of the interview, show interest in the organization and the job by asking insightful questions that are relevant to the position you are applying for.
7. Thank your interviewer – Common courtesy and politeness go a long way in interviews, so make sure you thank the person who interviewed you, ending the meeting with positive eye contact and a firm handshake.